Skip to main content
We offer virtual meeting options for our Clients - click here for more information

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu

Can child support be negotiated?

Child support under Nevada family law is determined by the court and covers food and shelter along with clothing and utilities. Nothing prevents parents from negotiating additional payments by the non-custodial parent and even settling for less under certain circumstances. Why would a custodial parent settle for less than the court’s child support guidelines?

A non-custodial parent is more likely to pay an affordable amount, and it is not uncommon for some to pay nothing if the court ordered amount of child support is more than what they can afford. In order to get something, it might be wise to agree to a lower amount. Once a paying parent falls behind, it becomes more and more difficult to collect child support. In some cases, a parent whose financial limitations are accommodated by the custodial parent may agree — or even offer — to contribute in other ways and add on additional items that do not form part of the court-ordered support.

However, parents may not go ahead and change child support informally. A court order to modify the child support amount must be obtained. If this is not done, the unpaid amounts will accrue, and the non-custodial parent will be held responsible.

This area of Nevada family law can be complicated, and parents should not hesitate to consult with an experienced family law attorney before taking matters into their own hands. Obligated parents who can demonstrate hardship are entitled to ask the court for modified child support orders. Similarly, custodial parents may ask for increased amounts at particular intervals. A suitable option for parents who want to negotiate child support obligations may be to use family law mediation. A skilled child support attorney can provide support and guidance through all these proceedings.

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

No content on this site may be reused in any fashion without written permission from

Skip footer and go back to main navigation