Close Menu
Las Vegas Divorce Lawyer > Blog > Child Support > How custodial parents can get child support that they are owed

How custodial parents can get child support that they are owed

If a noncustodial parent is ordered to pay child support, there are steps that the state of Nevada can take to compel compliance. Noncustodial parents who work but do not pay child support could see their wages garnished to fulfill their obligations. An order to withhold income from a noncustodial parent’s paycheck will apply to all future employers assuming that the court knows where the parent works.

A withholding order may also be issued for any other source of future income. In the event that a noncustodial parent does not have a job or other assets to pay support, the court can order the parent to find a job. After employment has been found, it is the parent’s responsibility to notify the court of such employment. The court may also intercept federal or state income tax refunds and use that money to fulfill child support obligations.

A child support order is taken seriously by the court and generally does not go away. Even if a noncustodial parent does not have a job, there are ways to ensure that all payments are made in a timely manner. This is done to ensure that the best interest of the child are served at all times.

Custodial parents who are seeking child support or an order to receive child support may wish to talk to an employment law attorney who may be able to help track down a noncustodial parent to compel compliance with an existing order or ask a court to grant a new order of support. Additionally, the attorney may be able to provide assistance in establishing paternity if it is necessary to grant an order of child support.

Source: Clark County Nevada, “What if the noncustodial parent has a job, but is not making child support payments ordered by the Court?“, October 16, 2014

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn