Close Menu
Las Vegas Divorce Lawyer > Blog > Child Custody > After divorce, how can parents move around and out of Nevada?

After divorce, how can parents move around and out of Nevada?

If you are newly divorced, you are probably becoming aware of the new financial constraints that you are now living within. Not only was the divorce itself costly, but you are also now living on one income instead of two, potentially making your previous lifestyle completely unaffordable. This might mean, for example, that you can no longer to afford your current home or that you need to find a less-expensive child care provider.

In many situations, the best way to resolve these financial difficulties would be to move to a different part of your current town, county or state, or even to move out of Nevada entirely. But if you are sharing child custody with your ex-spouse, that may not be so easy. Family courts are generally unwilling to allow children to move away from the noncustodial parent, in order to ensure that the child maintains a healthy relationship with both parents. However, if you are able to prove that the relocation is necessary and willing to be flexible on the parenting time schedule, there is a possibility that your request may be approved.

If you are contemplating a move, the first step is to check your divorce order and see whether relocation is specifically discussed. If not, you will need to file a petition requesting permission to relocate, detailing the reason you are seeking the relocation.

If the move will make it difficult or impossible to maintain the current visitation schedule, your petition should include details about how you will make up any parenting time your ex-spouse stands to lose. A good idea is to give your ex greater uninterrupted periods of time, like spring or summer break, even if this results in more parenting time than the original agreement included.

There is no guarantee that your petition will be granted, but honesty and flexibility will most likely go a long way.

Source: The Huffington Post, “How Do I Relocate After Obtaining Custody of My Children?” Eyal Talassazan, July 2, 2012

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn